Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Bittersweet

I wish I could say that things around here have gotten easier, but that's not really true. Will it ever get easier? I'm not sure that this kind of hurt ever dulls or disappears. We're trying to adjust to a new version of normal, but it's a big adjustment. So much of our lives revolved around Holden, and without him holding it all together, nothing is normal anymore. We have to completely change our way of living, and that's a very slow process. Many days, I don't even want to get out of bed, so I don't. Other days, I can manage to distract myself and make it through the day with a minimum of tears and mini-breakdowns. We have many friends and family who have made distraction an easy task at times, and we are thankful for that.

We don't have the autopsy results back yet. They said it would take 4-6 weeks, and it's been a little over four. I'm not sure if knowing why will help anything, but I can't move on without knowing either. Those results are one of the last things hanging over our heads, so I'm praying we have some answers soon.

I'm still not sure I understand any of this. We prayed so many times for God to make Holden's heart whole. Well, his heart is whole now. He answered our prayers, just not in the way we had hoped for. I struggle daily trying to live with and without him. With him, because he is still very much alive here in our hearts and our home, and without him because memories are all I have left to hold now. Balancing those two realities is impossible.

Each day we had him with us was a gift, and though I wish we had more time, I have to trust that God's plan for Holden's life was fulfilled in 17 months. That kind of trust is really, really hard right now, but we know that He has a plan for our lives.

That became evident when I went to the doctor last week. Much to our surprise, we found out that I am pregnant... At least a couple of months along. (We'll have a better idea of a timeline once I have a sono to date the pregnancy.) That means that all of this happened before Holden even went into the hospital the last time, and we had no idea. Trent and I had talked about having another child, and we decided to wait for a little while because we just weren't ready yet. The best laid plans, right? Indeed, the plans we make for our lives are not our plans to make. It's like He knew that we would need a reason to face each day again. Something to plan for. Something to look forward to, even as we try to sort through our grief. This is very much a bittersweet time for us. We are thankful and so very blessed, yet it's hard to be fully excited about anything right now. We are praying, and trying to keep a strong hold on our faith. It's really the only thing that's a constant these days.

John 16:33 "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."

My mother uploaded the slideshow shown at Holden's service, for those of you who are interested in watching it. We had some technical difficulties at the service, so I'm glad that we can share the full show with you now. I don't know how to include the actual video in the blog, but you can follow the link here.

We thank you all for your continued support and prayers. I'm not as diligent about responding to every one's messages as I should be, but your encouragement is the only thing that has kept me going at times. We appreciate all of you, more than you know.


5 comments:

  1. Y'all have been in my prayers every single day. I cannot even imagine how you feel right now, but congratulations on such a blessing. You said it perfectly, the plans we make for our lives are not our plans, but His. I think of precious Holden daily and am always inspired by his love and courage. Love y'all so much! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lindsey, I wish I could just reach through this computer screen and give you such a big hug right now. Holden will never be forgotten and as short as his life was, he made such an impact in this world.

    Congratulations on your pregnancy. God knows exactly what He's doing, even when we are completely caught off guard. I know that baby will be such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ren, I couldn't have said it nicer :) We have to live our lives the way God has planned for us to, even when we don't completely understand them. Congrats Lindsey & Trent! We love y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Babies are blessings. God knows what he's doing, even when we don't understand it ourselves. Hopefully this new little life will help you to start trying to heal your broken heart. You are in my prayers. I love you! -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsey, I found out I was pregnant with my baby girl Charlize, one week after my mother's funeral. It wasn't until after she was born and a few months old that I really realized that she was sent to me not only as a ray of sunshine during the hardest time of my life, but I truly believe that a part of my mother's spirit is alive in her beautiful grand daughter. She brought me so much joy during my mourning, that it helped me get past the devastation of it and begin to heal and remember my mother with a smile on my face. All that love that I had locked up in my heart that I was sad, angry and devastated about not being able to give to my mother, soon had an outlet. All the love I had in me for her, had a new place to go...in a sense. Don't hesitate to shower Holden's brother or sister with allllll the love you have in your heart for Holden AND for the new baby. Love is meant to be multiplied....not divided and by holding back because you don't want to dishonor Holden would be to deprive Holden of the love you have for him. This pregnancy is a blessing and it is not a coincidence. This baby is Holden's and God's gift to you. Watch out though because this baby is going to be a daredevil and will push him/herself to the limits because he/she will grow up KNOWING that he/she has the best kind of guardian angel ANYONE could ask for....a BIG BROTHER as a guardian angel....are you kidding me? This kid's got it made!!! That's a recipe for living a full, abundant life with no regrets and no fears.

    ReplyDelete