Thursday, November 25, 2010

Day 25- Thanksgiving

They took Holden for his heart cath yesterday around 5pm. It took a little less than three hours, and they brought him back close to 8pm... Everything went well, and there were no complications. The doctor had some good news for us... His pulmonary pressures look good for a transplant. I was really worried about that, since I have been doing a lot of my own research online. (The doctors here have tried to ban my laptop and internet, but so far they haven't been successful.) I found one site that said if his pulmonary pressures weren't right, he wouldn't be a transplant candidate, as the new heart would have trouble working against the pressure. Well, his are fine, and will be compatible with his new heart! All of the surgeons and cardiologists working on him last night were shocked by how much the numbers have changed since his last cath... I got a little excited when they were telling us this, thinking just maybe he wouldn't have to get a transplant after all, if his heart started working on its own. No luck with that... The pressures have improved, but are still more than double those of a normal kid's heart. So, that just means we haven't gotten our miracle... Yet. :)

They lowered his pacemaker rate to 100, and messed around with the AV delay a little bit. It won't make a huge difference, but every little bit helps make him more comfortable. He's still doing well keeping the fluid off... We're ecstatic about that, as it improves everything for him in here. The only problem with the fluid going out instead of being kept in his body is that we're chasing his potassium levels. They get really low when he has so much output, causing the heart to become more irritable. That's a problem easily fixed though, and we'll take that problem over the others!

My girls are coming up here today to see us, and to see Holden for the first time since he's been here. I am excited beyond belief to see them, but I'm scared of their reaction when they see how he looks in here. I don't know if there are any words to really describe how terrifying all of the tubes and wires are when you see them hooked into a baby for the first time. So, please make sure to say a prayer for all three of my kiddos today... For Holden's healing and comfort, and for the girls' peace after they spend some time up here.

It helps me tremendously to remember how much I have to be thankful for while we spend our days here... Not just today, on Thanksgiving, but every day.

This year, I am thankful for all three of my beautiful children- My girls are bright and intelligent, and they both have such kind, giving hearts. I am so proud of the little ladies they have grown up to be. My little man is a fighter, and has already shown such courage... I can't wait to see what kind of man he'll grow up to be.

I am thankful for the nurses and doctors at Children's Medical Center. We've bonded with some more than others, of course, but all of them are amazing people with huge hearts. They truly care about these kids, and that's reflected in their work.

I am thankful for our family and friends- old and new. Our support network grows each day, and we appreciate all of you so much. We are incredibly blessed!

I am thankful for Facebook, because without it, I'd never be able to keep up with that support network.

I am thankful for the Starbucks in the hospital (even though they close on the weekends, and are closed today through Monday). Sometimes, the shot of caffeine is the only thing that keeps us going.

I am thankful for my husband, who has been by my side on every step of this journey.

I am thankful for the power of prayer. I've lost count of how many times we've almost lost our little boy in the past month, and I truly believe that prayers have kept him here. We have been blessed beyond measure, and we are eternally grateful.

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. This brings tears to my eyes Lindsey...I am thankful for a million things today, but one of the things I am thankful for the most is knowing people like you, full of courage and strength, even if not all the time..YOU amaze ME. I am thinking of you guys today, and every day..Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get to read this yesterday. Thank you again for the blogs. Prayer Warrior's from all over are praying unceasingly for Holden, yourself and Trent. Hang tough..I know you will. Your faith is a testimony to many.

    Love you all ~ Cheri

    ReplyDelete