Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 32

Now that he's off the vent, they've weaned a lot of his sedation. He's having a few withdrawl symptoms, but overall he's really awake and alert. Of course, him being awake and alert means that I have considerably less time to spend online and on this blog, but this is what I've been praying for!

He's had a couple of little bumps in the road, but he's mostly doing really well... He's not necessarily breathing "on his own" just yet, as he still has help in the form of a nasal canula, but he's improving more and more. They did an echo this morning to see what's going on in his heart without the positive pressure from the vent... I don't know the results yet, but I'm hoping they're improved from the last one.

Best case scenario would be him getting to wait for the transplant at home, instead of up here in the ICU... If he continues to do well off the vent and transitioning to PO meds off of IV, that could be a possibility! He's officially bumped to a 1B on the list, down from a 1A, now that he's off the vent. That's both a good and bad thing- it will be a longer wait for a heart with him not listed as critical, but this will allow us to not only wait at home, but also wait for a perfect match instead of a "good enough" match.

He's already exceeded my highest expectations, and he's far surpassed the doctors as well... I couldn't be more proud of my tough little man! :)

2 comments:

  1. Good job Holden!!! I'm happy to hear the positive tone in this message. You guys are still in my prayers and thoughts. Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing a happy dance... happy dance..LOL..
    Way to go little sweet pea !!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete