Monday, December 27, 2010

Day 57

We have quite a few updates today, both good and bad... My ex-husband texted yesterday morning and said that he and the girls were running fevers and sick. They went to the weekend clinic, and they have the flu. Kaitlyn also has an ear infection. They were still running fevers this morning, so it doesn't look like they're going to pass through it very quickly. :( The girls are so upset about not being able to come up here, but we can't take the chance of them infecting anyone else. No matter how careful they are, they can still pass it on, and there are too many sick babies here to take that risk. They're both devastated, and I am too. :( They go back to school next week, so I'm praying they feel better at least by the weekend. I'm determined to see them before they go back to school, no matter what!

In other news, we got moved to the 8th floor this afternoon. We were told to go ahead and settle in, and not get too excited about going home, as we're still here for the long haul. It's hard not to be excited about the move though, since it is still a step in the right direction- out of the ICU! He had a much better day today than the past couple of days, and he's been in a pretty good mood... He even got to eat a little bit earlier while speech therapy was working with him. He had peaches, applesauce and graham crackers. (Tiny bites of all of them, but it's a start!) We'll have to continue working with him, because he's still very gaggy with anything taken by mouth, but I'm really excited about the fact that we're beginning the process.

We've noticed a few pros and cons to being on the 8th floor already... We can have food and drinks in the room, which I'm a huge fan of. I've gotten really tired of drinking hot bottled cokes, and I am loving drinking my drinks- over ice, with a straw!- in the room. We don't have to take turns going to eat now, and that's a plus as well. We also have a bathroom in the room here, so no more nasty public showers! It's the little things that make me happy.

Things that don't make me happy include the fact that I've had to stop nursing. He hasn't really nursed since he's been here, but I've been pumping for two months with the hope that he would resume nursing once he got off of the vent. With all of his eating issues, that's not a possibility anymore. They have so much milk saved up from the past two months that we've had to send some of it home with relatives, so he'll at least continue to get my milk... I'm just a little sad that our nursing ended so abruptly like this.

I'm also a little unhappy about some other things, but they're small things when I look at the big picture. His eyes seem to be turning brown, which I was so hoping wouldn't happen! (I was actually surprised that they hadn't turned brown before this, seeing how much he takes after his dad otherwise, but I was really hoping he'd keep his blue eyes.) They're beautiful eyes regardless, and I'm so happy to see them open that I shouldn't complain at all. :)

And Starbucks has discontinued the Caramel Brulee Latte that I've been living on for the past two months... Very depressing. They've tried to pass off a couple of other drinks as being similar, but they evidently lie. ;) I'll have time to find a new drink before we leave, unfortunately...

But to keep things in perspective, no matter how much longer we have to stay here, we are so grateful with the progress he's made. We pray endlessly for continued progress, and we very much appreciate all of you who continue to pray with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment