Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Day 51

Not much has changed around here... Holden's lipase count is still exactly the same as it was yesterday. While it's good news that it's no longer rising, it sucks that it's not coming down either. He's still in a fair amount of pain, although it seems to be a little better than yesterday. I hope tomorrow looks a little brighter. I don't want his first Christmas to be a horrible one! Stupid pancreatitis. :( When we finally get out of here, I never want to hear the word pancreas again. Ever.

I went to the roof of the parking garage last night to check out the moon, and it was awesome! When I came back to our room, I noticed a lot of activity going on next door to us... Our neighbor is an eight year old little boy who has been waiting for a heart since July. He has been critical and on full support. The staff here isn't supposed to tell us anything, but they let it slip that he had gotten a heart offer! I was so excited for him, and for his family. I thought it was really cool that it had happened at Christmas, and on the night of the rare eclipse/solstice. I went to sleep feeling grateful that something good had finally happened on this floor. With so much doom and destruction, it's hard to remember sometimes that great miracles happen here too.

Well, when I asked about him this morning, they told me that the heart had been too big, and he couldn't get the transplant. My stomach dropped when I heard those words, and my heart just breaks for the family. To be thisclose, and not cross the finish line. I can't even imagine the heartbreak and disappointment they're feeling today. Please say an extra prayer for this family tonight. They can use the lift.

I also need to ask another favor. I have been reading more about organ donation lately, and I wanted to share a few facts. If you aren't a donor, please consider changing your mind. Give the gift of life this Christmas (or at least, plan to give that gift sometime in the future). It's free, it's simple, and it's the greatest gift you can give. It's the ultimate gift, as all Christians should know. :)

More than 100,000 men, women and children currently need life-saving organ transplants.

Every 10 minutes another name is added to the national organ transplant waiting list.

An average of 18 people die each day from the lack of available organs for transplant.

In 2009, there were 8,021 deceased organ donors and 6,610 living organ donors resulting in 28,465 organ transplants.

According to research, 98% of all adults have heard about organ donation and 86% have heard of tissue donation.

90% of Americans say they support donation, but only 30% know the essential steps to take to be a donor.

Visit http://organdonor.gov/ or http://www.donatelife.net/ to learn more.

1 comment:

  1. I am sure that somewhere you have provided this information, but may I please have the address that you all are getting mail at?
    Thank you,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete