Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Day 31

We have lots of exciting things happening this morning! They stopped his feeds last night, and cut off some of his sedatives... All in preparation for extubation this morning. Without all of the sedatives going in, he was a lot more awake and alert. For about two hours early this morning, he kicked his legs, moved around and really focused on us. At one point, he was even smiling at us... I've been waiting to see that smile for exactly one month now, and it was totally worth the wait! They extubated him with no complications around 9:30am, and so far his numbers and O2 sats are looking great. (A few of his nurses who have fallen in love with him had to come in for the "extubation party"... One was even skipping a class so he could be here. It's really touching to see how much all of them have taken him into their hearts.) It is such a relief to see him without a tube down his throat, even though he still has a million other lines and tubes going into his little body. He should be so much more comfortable now, and I am praying hard that it lasts... The last two times we've tried to extubate him, he's lasted for about 9 hours before having to be re-intubated. I'm trying really hard to not get my hopes up too much, but I think it's okay to be cautiously optimistic? This is such a huge step forward for him... We're still in the same place as far as the heart transplant goes, and he is by no means "cured", but being able to breathe with just the nose canula support is a big deal... I'm one step closer to getting my baby back!! We're hoping and praying that the dreaded 9-hour point comes and goes without incident... Until then, we'll all be anxiously watching, waiting and praying!

I couldn't get any really good shots of him smiling, but these are close enough...



Notice something missing?? No breathing tube! He was worn out from all of the activity...

7 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Praise God!! I am praying that the 9 hour window will come and go without incident!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I have tears in my eyes, I am so happy for you guys. Every small step in the right direction, is a step in the right direction!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goose Bumps my baby... goose bumps.... LOL.. IT IS SOOOOO GOOD TO SEE HIS EYES... Eyes..OMG..laughing and crying at the same time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Kathy...eyes are filled with tears, heart is busting with JOY! Praying for a smooth evening and continued blessings. Love to all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't know me, but I work with Kyla. She's been keeping us updated with Holden's progress. We have been praying hard for your little guy! I'm glad you decided to start this blog so we can all keep up with his healing. Your strength is an inspiration! ---Mel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying!! every step is precious,Beautiful pictures with his eyes open. I know you were pleased. God is holding him in "His Hands" until You can!! Love you all

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww...it is great to see him smiling. We have been praying hard for him every day and night. Congrats on the baby steps forward. God is sooo GOOD! Thanks for keeping us updated.
    Lots of love,
    Leah (Trent's cousin)

    ReplyDelete